Book released: January 19, 2019
“The Battle To Do Good really deserves the attention and recognition of how important CSR is for businesses today.
Utilizing this book provides the processes to use managing such a daunting task. Bob Langert details step by step the journey he took. I loved this book!”
Jan Fields, former President of McDonald’s USA
Today’s—and tomorrow’s—companies must address social and environmental priorities as part of the core business. For organizations that want to succeed in light of the issues rather than despite them, leaders must locate the intersection of doing good for society and helping its business prosper.
By sharing the lessons learned from decades of front-line experience at McDonald’s, Bob Langert helps leaders do just that. The Battle To Do Good shows business leaders not only how—and why—to confront societal issues, but to embrace them in the knowledge that by doing good they can do well and help both their business and society prosper.
Packed with real-world anecdotes and countless lessons learned, The Battle To Do Good provides keen insight and practical tips for managers of companies large and small as they navigate this increasingly complex, interconnected world where good news travels at the speed of light—and bad news travels even faster.
Each chapter summarizes some “Hard Knock Lessons”–including insights into engaging with critics, crisis management, picking partners, playing offense vs. defense, and the 8 attributes of successful sustainable leaders.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Introduction; From Defense to Offense
- The Battle Against Waste: McDonald’s First Societal Clash
- The Battle for Farm Animals: How Animal Welfare Is Transformed
- The Battle of Extremism: McCruelty, Meat Is Murder
- The Battle to Be Proactive: Happy Meal Toys and the Ups and Downs of Anticipatory Issues Management
- The Battle of the Waistline and Brand Health: The Obesity Dilemma and a Healthier Happy Meal
- The Battle for a Sustainable Supply Chain: From Silence to Sustainable Fish, Less Polluting Hogs, and Better Lives for Tomato Pickers
- The Battle for Values: Can You Etch Them in Stone?
- The Battle Goes to the Board Room: A Shareholder Proposal Makes a Difference
- The Battle for the Amazon Rainforest: How Greenpeace Chickens Changed McDonald’s
- The Battle to Make a Pig’s Life Better: How Much Room Does a Sow Need?
- The Battle for Better Beef: The Quest for Sustainable Beef
- The Battle to Lead Both Business and Society: The Profits of Sustainability